Search This Blog

Monday, December 5, 2011

Recently watched: "The Three Musketeers/The Four Musketeers"



I can remember reading the novelization of these when I was a kid, but don't know that I actually watched the movies (originally released in 1974) beyond bits and pieces on a network movie showing.  Several years ago I finally read Dumas' novel (in a newly released translation at the time) and enjoyed it a lot.  I then watched the Gene Kelly movie version, and liked it also (though I think Kelly was a bit old to be D'Artagnan).  Now, with Lester's adaption (with script by George MacDondal Fraser) I've seen what many consider to be the definitive movie version.

It's certainly a lot of fun, with some great casting (Oliver Reed is perfect, and Charlton Heston is very good as Richelieu).  The fights are great, with the Musketeers using whatever is handy as weapons.  I would like to see the 1921 Douglas Fairbanks version, which many say is a template for Lester's films.

No comments:

Post a Comment